Functions of Local Government auditor general
The Auditor General for Local Governments shall :-
- Have the power to carryout, on regular basis the Auditing of Local Governments Accounts.
- Have the power to sanction and surcharge any officer as in Financial Memorandum 39.3. However, appeals against such decisions shall lie to the Public Account Committee.
- Be the Chairman of the Local Government Audit Account Committee.
- Have access to the State Governor through the Governor’s representative on the Audit Alarm Committee.
- Notify the Public Account Committee (PAC) and the Local Government’s Council of Audit Alarms of significant importance and serious pre-payment audit queries for which the Accounting Officer of the Local Government is liable or responsible.
- In addition, any other sensitive issue which, because of its urgency cannot wait until the committee is convened, shall be dealt with by the Auditor-General of Local Government Audit.
- Inform both the public Accountants committee, the Local Government Council and the Governor in writing where a Local Government Accounting officer does not respond within the stipulated time to a quarry that affects his office.
- Have the right to impose necessary sanction or punishment. Where the failure to answer the Audit querry is by an officer other than the Chairman Local Government Service Commission, impose necessary sanction or punishment on the erring officer who shall have the right of Appeal to the Public Accounts Committee.
Gwadangaji Secretariat, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State.
(102) 8888 9999
Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 16:00